Regular updating of Windows applications, including QuickBooks and its supporting components, is essential to avoid errors and improve productivity. However, QuickBooks updates may lead to errors, such as the payroll error 12029, which occurs during the download of QuickBooks Desktop and payroll updates. This article will explain the causes of QuickBooks error 12029 and provide effective troubleshooting steps.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 12029
- The payroll update window displays QuickBooks error code 12029.
- QuickBooks may shut down unexpectedly while attempting to download or install payroll updates.
- It may become impossible to access the payroll update section of QuickBooks.
- Your Windows operating system may respond slowly to your commands.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 12029
- In case your internet connection is lost or not working.
- The download of the update file may be disrupted due to interference from Windows Firewall or third-party security software such as antivirus or anti-malware.
- It’s possible that you have chosen a different web browser as your default instead of Internet Explorer.
- If the SSL certificate used by the application has expired or is invalid.
Also read: QuickBooks install error 1723
What are the Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Error 12029?
Following are the latest DIY methods in order to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error code 12029:
Method 1: Confirm your Internet Connection
- Open Internet Explorer and visit a safe website such as www.google.com
- If you can access the website successfully, move on to the next troubleshooting step.
- If you encounter an error while accessing the website, check your internet connection settings for any configuration issues.
- Ensure that the date and time on your computer are correct.
- Open Internet Explorer, click on Tools at the top, and select Internet Options.
- Under the Advanced tab, click on Reset/Restore Defaults to reset Internet Explorer’s settings.
- After making changes to the Internet Explorer settings, click on Apply and then OK to save the changes.
- Next, initiate the update process for QuickBooks Desktop and Payroll.
- Finally, check the status of QuickBooks Error 12029
Method 2: Excluding QuickBooks from Windows Firewall settings
Follow the steps to configure the firewall settings:
- Click on the Start button on your desktop and type Windows Firewall into the search box labeled Search Programs and Files.
- Select Windows Firewall from the list of programs after searching for it in the Start menu.
- Right-click on Inbound Rules under Advanced Settings.
- After right-clicking on Inbound Rules, select New Rule, and then select This Program Path under Programs.
- Browse to find the location of the QuickBooks file and select it. Then click Next.
- Choose Allow the Connection and click Next.
- Ensure that all checkboxes are selected and click Next.
- Name the rule and click Finish.
- To set outbound rules, repeat the same procedure, but select Outbound instead of Inbound.
Method 3: Update your Internet Settings
- Open Internet Explorer and go to the Internet Options menu.
- Look for the Tools option and select it.
- From the list, choose Delete and click on it.
- A new window will appear, select Temporary Internet Files.
- Click Delete once again to remove the temporary files from your browser.
- Navigate to the Connections tab in Internet Explorer.
- Look for LAN Settings and click on it.
- Verify that the Automatically Detect Settings option is selected by checking the checkbox.
- Go to the Proxy Servers field and ensure that it is empty.
- Click on OK to save the changes.
- Now, move to the Advanced tab.
- Check that SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 options are selected by checking their respective checkboxes.
- Click on OK to save the changes made to the advanced settings.
- Scroll down the page to the advanced settings section in Internet Explorer.
- Check if the TLS 1.2 checkbox has a check-mark, and ensure that the checkboxes for TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 are not selected.
We believe that by following the troubleshooting steps outlined above, you will be able to resolve the QuickBooks error 12029. If you are experiencing difficulties with this error and require immediate support, you can contact our QuickBooks Payroll error support helpline at 1-800-615-2347.