QuickBooks is a software solution designed for small and medium-sized businesses to manage inventory, sales, and finances. It offers various features like merchant services, product supplies, and marketing tools. However, QuickBooks can encounter errors, and in such cases, Intuit’s File Doctor can help resolve the issue. But sometimes, the utility itself can face errors like “QuickBooks File doctor stopped working“. Let’s understand why this error occurs and how to fix it.
A brief review of QuickBooks File Doctor Not Working Error
QuickBooks File Doctor software is a blend of “QuickBooks 2014 R4” and newer versions. It is created by Intuit to resolve errors and minor glitches in QuickBooks. However, some users have reported issues such as the software stopping, crashing, hanging or displaying an exception. In such cases, the software generates an error message that reads “QuickBooks File Doctor is not working“.
Causes of this QuickBooks File Doctor has stopped working
- The utility may stop working if you attempt to access integrated files.
- If you are unable to successfully restore files, the error may occur.
- Updating files may also cause the error to appear.
- The error may arise when trying to convert older versions of company files over a network.
- If you miss certain QuickBooks files during installation, the error may show up.
- Damaged, lost, or corrupted files can trigger the error message.
Methods to Resolve QuickBooks File Doctor has stopped working problem
Checkout the following troubleshooting methods to rectify the problem.
1: Manually launch the QuickBooks file doctor application
- Open the application and wait for the No Company Open screen to appear.
- Then go to File> “Utilities-> Repair File and Network Problems”.
- Click OK in the dialog box that appears, and the file doctor will restart the application with administrator rights.
- Click Yes when prompted.
- Click on the wrench icon to open the QuickBooks file doctor application and select Continue.
- Log in to your file by entering your user credentials, and the file doctor will begin repairing your file.
- Choose File Diagnosis Only from the Advanced Settings options.
- Click Next and follow the prompts to open your file and check for any issues or needed repairs.
2: Turn off your hosting mode and configure your antivirus software
- To do this, you need to open your antivirus software and go to Web & Email Protection.
- Then select Firewall and click on Ports and System Service.
- Click on the “Add” button.
- Type eMule under Services Name and enter the TCP data for your QuickBooks application under Local TCP/IP ports.
- Enter the TCP data for your QuickBooks application under Local UDP Port.
- Choose All PCs under “Open ports to”.
- Finally, click on “Save” and restart your system to ensure the changes take effect.
3: Restore the backup of the corrupted QBW file
- First, create a backup of the damaged files to replace the corrupted files with saved ones.
- Open QuickBooks and click on File, then select Open or Restore Company.
- Click on “Open or Restore a Backup Copy” and click Next.
- Select Local Backup and click Next.
- Browse and select the backup file location from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Select the file with a .QBB extension and click Open and then Next.
- Choose a location to restore the files and enter a name in the Name field.
- The Save as field should automatically display the .QBW file.
- Click Save to complete the restoration process.
Alos read: QuickBooks error 12029
The above-mentioned solutions can help you overcome the ‘QuickBooks file doctor crashes’ error smoothly and effortlessly. However, if you still face any issue, you can contact us at 1-800-615-2347. Our QuickBooks error support will be happy to assist you!