Sunday, October 1, 2023

Road Traffic Accident Claims in Ireland: What You Need to Know

Must read

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident, you may be wondering what to do next. The good news is that it’s quite easy! In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about Road Traffic Accident claims after being involved in an RTA.

What is a Road Traffic Accident?

A road traffic accident is an event that occurs on a road involving one or more vehicles. Road traffic accidents can be caused by human error, mechanical failure or weather conditions. They can also be fatal or non-fatal.

In Ireland, all car owners are required to have insurance cover for their vehicle at all times when it is being driven on public roads. If you are involved in an RTA with another driver who does not have adequate insurance coverage (for example if they do not have motor third party liability), then your own policy will pay out whatever damages were sustained as a result of the incident up until its stated limit of indemnity which is usually €20 million per claimant per incident under Section 3(1)(b) Civil Liability Act 2004 .

What Kind of Compensation Can You Claim?

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident and your vehicle has been damaged, the first thing to do is contact the Gardai (police). They will give you a reference number which must be included when making a claim. The claims process can be lengthy and complex so it’s important that you get legal advice as soon as possible.

You may also be entitled to further compensation if injuries sustained as a result of your accident mean that:

  • You are unable to work for longer than three months; or
  • Your ability to earn money has been reduced by 25% or more; or
  • You need ongoing medical treatment for more than 3 years after the date of injury; or
  • You have suffered pain or emotional distress because of your injuries

Who is Responsible for an RTA?

The driver of the vehicle involved in an RTA is often held responsible for any damage caused. This can be either:

  • The driver themselves (if they were driving their own car)
  • A friend, relative or passer-by who was using your vehicle without permission (you may still be liable for them).

The other party involved in the accident may also be held responsible for damages if they are found to have been negligent in some way. In addition to this, pedestrians and cyclists can also sometimes be held liable for causing injuries during an accident as well as motorcyclists who do not wear protective clothing when riding their bikes on public roads or footpaths

How Do I Make an RTA Claim?

The first step in making an RTA claim is to contact the driver’s insurance company. You will need to send them a letter of claim and follow up with a phone call if you do not receive any response within 14 days.

If you are not satisfied with their response, contact the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland (MIBI). They will assist you in resolving your issue by negotiating with other parties involved in the accident or offering legal advice on how best to proceed with your case.

What to Expect From an RTA Claim in Ireland.

If you’ve been involved in an accident and suffered injuries, you may be entitled to compensation. However, the process of making a claim can be difficult and confusing for those who aren’t familiar with how the legal system works.

In Ireland there are two main types of RTA claims: personal injury claims and property damage claims. Personal injury claims are made on behalf of someone who has been injured as a result of another party’s negligence or breach of duty; property damage claims involve damage done to your car or other property by another driver’s negligence or breach of duty. In both types of cases it is important to seek legal advice from an experienced solicitor before proceeding with any action because they will understand how best to proceed depending on what exactly happened during your accident and its consequences for yourself (and others).

You can claim compensation for damage to your property and injuries sustained in a road traffic accident.

A  claim is a civil action taken by a person who has been injured or suffered property damage as the result of another person’s negligence.

In Ireland, you can claim compensation for damage to your property and injuries sustained in an RTA (road traffic accident). The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the severity and extent of your injuries as well as what kind of car was involved in the collision.

The following are some examples of personal injury claims:

  • Fractured bones resulting from impact with another vehicle or object such as a pole or tree stump;
  • Cuts requiring stitches;
  • Head injuries including concussion;
  • Back strains caused by lifting heavy objects after being involved in an RTA;
  • Psychological trauma resulting from witnessing someone else get hurt during an incident involving dangerous machinery such as forklifts at work sites


If you’ve been injured in a road traffic accident, it’s important to know your rights. If you need help making a claim or have any questions about the process, we can help. Please contact our team

- Advertisement -

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Ads Blocker Image Powered by Code Help Pro

Ads Blocker Detected!!!

We have detected that you are using extensions to block ads. Please support us by disabling these ads blocker.