Cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health, whether you’re a man or a woman. It can even be harmful to those who don’t smoke themselves–in fact, smoking is the most preventable cause of death in the United States, claiming 480,000 lives per year. That figure includes those who die from exposure to secondhand smoke.
However, there are certain side effects of smoking that only affect males, due to the physiological differences between men and women. Read on below for more information on some of them; they just might make you think twice about lighting up:
Smoking and your sperm
Smoking doesn’t just affect your sperm; it can also seriously diminish the chances of you having children in the future. In a 2016 study published in European Urology, researchers discovered a link between smoking and decreased sperm count. The habit also contributed to decreased sperm motility (the ability of sperm to transport themselves) and poor sperm morphology (the shape of the sperm).
To further elaborate:
– Smoking can affect the morphology or shape of the sperm. Oddly shaped sperm is less motile, leading to problems getting to the egg. It may also fail to fertilize the egg altogether.
– Sperm motility is also affected when men smoke. Even healthily-shaped sperm can find it difficult to swim, preventing them from reaching the egg for fertilization. Research shows that men who smoke experience a 13% decrease in sperm motility.
– A 2015 study published in The World Journal of Men’s Health found that men who smoke tend to experience a 23% decrease in sperm concentration.
– Another study, this one from 2017, asserts that sperm obtained from smokers has increased DNA fragmentation. When DNA is fragmented or damaged, it can have problems fertilizing an egg. Additionally, it can cause issues with regards to the development of the embryo, as well as its implantation. Sperm with fragmented DNA can also increase the risk of miscarrying in the woman.
– Smoking leads to imbalanced hormone levels in men and women. This can directly contribute to a host of fertility issues.
Smoking and your libido
Further research is needed, but studies have also been conducted to better understand if smoking can be linked to decreased libido. This 2008 study further explores how nicotine can have an inhibitory effect on sexual arousal.
Smoking and erectile dysfunction
Several studies show that smoking can negatively affect a man’s ability to perform. In fact, research proves that there is indeed a strong correlation between smoking and erectile dysfunction.
While erectile dysfunction has no bearing on fertility, having difficulties performing can lead to issues conceiving. If you would like to have children in the future, it’s best to quit smoking now–in that same study, half of the respondents reoported that their sexual performance improved around 6 months after they stopped smoking. A nicotine-free disposable vape can make this easier.
Smoking and your integumentary system
The integumentary system consists of your skin, hair, teeth, and nails, as well as the glands and nerves in this outer layer of the body. Smoking affects these parts of your body in various ways:
– Smoking can speed up your skin’s natural aging process, causing facial lines and wrinkles, crow’s feet, and uneven, grayish skin tone. It can also create deep creases below the eyes and around the mouth. This is due to nicotine and other chemicals present in cigarettes, which, when burned, cause vasoconstriction. When the blood vessels narrow, it reduces the amount of oxygen and nutrients delivered to the skin cells, which causes dryness.
– That same vasoconstriction increases the speed in which you lose your hair, especially if you are already genetically predisposed towards male pattern baldness. A 2017 study conducted in Taiwan showed that men who smoked more than 20 cigarettes per day were twice more likely to experience moderate to severe hair loss.
– In addition to staining your teeth, nicotine also disrupts normal cell function in the gums, leading to yellowed teeth, halitosis, and other dental issues.
– Nicotine also stains your fingers and nails, leaving them permanently discolored.
Kick your smoking habit today with a nicotine-free disposable vape
Cyclone Pods introduces a revolutionary way to rid yourself of nicotine dependency and stop smoking forever with their Gust line of nicotine-free disposable vapes. It’s available in 3 distinct variants: the Gust Disposable, the Gust Plus Disposable, and the Gust Super.
Gust Disposable is the flagship product in the Gust line. It’s a nicotine-free disposable vape in a discreet pen form that provides over 200 puffs. You can purchase single pens, or buy your favorites in boxes of 10.
Gust Plus offers all the things you love about Gust Disposable in a slightly larger form factor that holds more juice for more fun! They provide over 600 puffs.
Finally, Gust Super is the solution for the cost-conscious individual who wants to quit smoking without fiddling with pods. With over 5000 puffs, this is a rechargeable nicotine-free disposable vape that should last you a while!